The first cement tile was made in 1850 in Viviers in Ardèche (France). Its technical and attractive features quickly seduced a bourgeois clientele. The manufacture of the material has been developed in the area of Marseille and Avignon. Over time, the material won over the most famous houses in Europe and in its colonies. The technique has also been exported all over the world: cement tiles cover South American houses, but also Moroccan palaces and Vietnamese temples.
This enthusiasm was slowed down by the arrival of industrial enamelled ceramics in the 50s. Facing this hard competition, cement tile manufactures disappeared in Europe in the 70s.
Fortunately, the skill has been passed down beyond our borders. Nowadays, Morocco is the main manufacturer of this genuine handcraft product.